10. To send the nasty Koch brothers a message to stay out of California politics.
9. To send the nasty Texas-based Valero oil company a message to stay out of California politics.
8. To send the nasty Texas-based Tessoro oil company a message to stay out of California politics.
7. To send Meg Whitman a message that California wants environmental leadership (just in case she’s elected governor).
6. To tell Congress that leadership on climate change legislation can be good politics.
5. Because the longer we wait to control our emissions the more expensive it will be to cut them later.
4. Because we need to send companies a consistent signal about what will be expected of them legally.
3. Because California’s environmental leadership can provide a model for the rest of the country to follow (as it has so often).
2. Because environmental leadership produces technological leadership.
1. Because cutting greenhouse gas emissions is the right thing to do.